I. General rules
1. I invite comments, including comments from people who disagree with my opinions. However, my personhood, and that of other people, is not a point of argument. Racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, classism, anti-Semitism, and other expressions of dehumanization will not be tolerated.
2. Following 1, I ask that you refrain from using animal slurs and negatively colored animal comparisons/metaphors when talking about human beings. E.g., calling a disabled person a monkey is not ok.
3. I would appreciate it if you could minimize sarcasm and mockery as much as possible. People with neuroatypicalities are reading this website, and sarcasm is often difficult to process.
4. Please do not call people out on grammar and spelling. We are speakers of different varieties of English from around the world, and we are people of different abilities, origins, and education levels. Your grammar and spelling are ok here (but please do not use this rule to mock and belittle others through ‘creative’ usage of spelling and grammar).
II. When comments are closed
1. Comments to my entries are not always open. I have a full-time job, I am raising a child with moderate autism, and I am chronically ill. One of my chronic conditions is tendonitis, which means that there is a limited amount of words I can type per day, even when I do have time. If I feel that I will be unable to engage fully with comments to certain entries, I will keep comments closed.
2. If I closed comments, please do not send me responses via email. In the interests of fairness to readers who did not get to comment on the site, I will not be able to engage with such reactions. If I closed comments, I suggest that responses should be posted in your own spaces.
3. I often invite conversation via twitter. Twitter is easier for me to manage physically because messages are shorter. My twitter handle is @roselemberg.
III. Comment moderation and banning
1. All comments are moderated.
2. Once a comment has passed moderation, I do not delete comments that have been posted to my website.
3. While I review all comments, I do not edit them. Your words belong to you.
4. There are situations in which I do not let comments pass moderation. There are three major types of situations:
4a. Trolling (commenting that serves no purpose rather than provoke me or other commenters, or commenting that serves no purpose rather than your own self-aggrandizement at the expense of others).
4b. Excessive length. Even the most astute comment is not appropriate for posting here if it exceeds 750 words (3 pages). These comments are better framed as entries and posted to your own spaces; please feel free post a link or leave a trackback here.
4c. Promoting goods and services without posting additional content.
I reserve judgment to disallow comments from passing moderation.
5. Banning: so far, I have not banned anyone from commenting. However, I reserve judgment to ban commenters for repeated trolling. I will issue 1 (one) warning before doing so.
By opting to comment on my entries, you are opting to abide by these rules.